Friday 28 December 2012

Marc Jacobs Fragrance Fest



My love affair with Marc Jacobs fragrances started in the Duty Free in Dublin airport. As I was awaiting my delayed flight to the USA, I was browsing the aisles when I came across the most beautifully designed bottle of perfume I have ever seen, Marc Jacobs, Lola. It is a purple bottle with a giant multicoloured flower for the lid that looks phenomenal. I am a sucker for aesthetic appeal and so, immediately spritzed it all over my wrists. The smell was also divine. It is described, as below, on the Sephora website:

  This warm floral bouquet conveys the free spirit of today's sexy, modern girl - she is playful, cool, and flirtatious. The long-lasting, day-and-night scent opens with pink peppercorn, pear, and ruby red grapefruit. Blooming midnotes of rose, fuschia peony, and geranium make a feminine statement. Layers of vanilla, warm tonka bean, and creamy musk create a sensuous dry down.


I think this is a very accurate description. I can definitely smell the grapefruit and pear with a touch of spice from the peppercorn and musk with a warm undertone of vanilla. I can't however smell the peony or rose middle notes but maybe that's just because my sense of smell is not experienced enough. I think the scent is very sexy, yet still young as can be worn as a daytime or evening perfume, and can be a scent for all year round. This is my most worn scent ever and have even gone through a full bottle, which I have never done before. This will be my signature scent for years to come, I believe.






 The next Marc Jacobs scent I tried was Daisy Eau So Fresh. I wasn't a big fan of the original Daisy scent, as I found it a little bit sickly, but I found the Eau So Fresh version to be a lot lighter and fresher. Once again the bottle is beautiful. It is a replica for the original Daisy scent, only with some pink flowers included on the top as opposed to just white, and with a pink colored fragrance instead of yellow




 The Marc Jacobs website describes the fragrance as:

a bright, floral, fruity fragrance. It radiates a sunny and sparkling energy. A whimsical, yet elegant 
fragrance with playful notes of crisp raspberry, sensuous wild rose and deep and warm plum

The website says it has top notes of raspberry, grapefruit and pear, middle notes of wild rose, violet and apple blossom and base notes of plum, cedarwood and musk.

I agree that the scent is whimsical yet elegant. The first note I can smell is grapefruit and then I can smell rose and a touch of plum, with an undertone of musk. I can't, however, smell any of the other scents. I find the fragrance to be very light and summery, a perfect daytime scent for a sunny day.


The final Marc Jacobs scent I own is his newest fragrance, Dot. The bottle is immediately reminiscent of a ladybird and is one of the most elaborate fragrance designs I have seen.









 It is described as including top notes of red berries, dragon fruit and honeysuckle, middle notes of jasmine, coconut water and orange blossom, and base notes of vanilla, driftwood and musk.

The first word that comes to mind when I smell this scent is tropical. This is the first scent in which I can smell all of the notes described in it. However, the fragrance is mainly a scent of berries and dragon fruit with just a touch of all the other notes. While I can still smell the base notes, they are not very strong. This is a very light scent that I think would be the perfect daytime scent all year round. 

Overall, Marc Jacobs fragrances are definitely my cup of tea. I would be interested in trying the other fragrances such as Marc Jacobs Woman to see if the brand is as good at more mature scents as they are with younger ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment